Re: Problem with table name in capitals.

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with table name in capitals.
Date: 2002-12-14 04:17:01
Lists: pgsql-odbc
--- Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be> wrote:
> When I'm using a table with capitals from excel or
> something,
> using microsoft query, I get an error that the
> relation
> "public"."table" doesn't exist.
>
> I noticed that I got simular errors when I didn't
> put quotes
> around the name of the table.  I assume it's the
> same problem
> here?
>
> When I rename the table/column to lower case it
> works.
>
> Is this a problem in the ODBC driver, or in
> microsoft query?

Neither one.  Table/column names in PostgreSQL are
case insensitive, as the SQL standard requires.  In
PostgreSQL this is achieved by forcing all names to
lower case before evaluation.  Quoted names are not
changed, as you found.  You will need to rename your
tables/columns to lower case names, or always quote
them in queries.