automated index suggestor -- request for comment

From: johnnnnnn <john(at)phaedrusdeinus(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: automated index suggestor -- request for comment
Date: 2002-12-13 03:22:38
Lists: pgsql-performance
The manual is pretty sparse on advice regarding indices. Plenty of
good feature documentation, but not much about when and where an index
is appropriate (except a suggestion that multi-column indices should
be avoided).

Of course, the ultimate arbiter of which indices are used is the
planner/optimizer. If i could somehow convince the optimizer to
consider indices that don't yet exist, it could tell me which would
give the greatest benefit should i add them.

So, i'm writing for two reasons. First, i want to gauge interest in
this tool. Is this something that people would find useful?

Second, i am looking to solicit some advice. Is this project even
feasible? If so, where would be the best place to start? My assumption
has been that i would need to hack into the current code for
determining index paths, and spoof it somehow, but is that possible
without actually creating the indices?

Any and all feedback welcome.

pgsql-performance by date

Subject: Re: [PERFORM] CLUSTER command