Re: questions about disk configurations

From: Hubert depesz Lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: questions about disk configurations
Date: 2002-12-10 21:16:03
Lists: pgsql-performance
i'm replying to my own letter to gather all replies in one mail.

i got some replies. some of them are useful. some aren't really. i'm not
really sure how the usage can modify "what is best for some part of
database files".
can you explain me how comes that for some uses it's best
(performance-wise) to keep xlog's on straight disc, and tables on raid5
with lots' of disks, and for some other uses it's better to keep xlog on
raid0 and tables on raid 10?

anyway: what i understood is that usually the best (performance-wise),
would be to put:
xlog - separate - unraid'ed disk, or raid0
tables - any raid, but not raid 1
indices - any raid, but not raid 1

thanks for all replies.

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski                          http://www.depesz.pl/
Mój Boże, spraw abym milczał, dopóki się nie upewnię,  że  naprawdę  mam