Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/reference.sgml oc/sr ...

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/reference.sgml oc/sr ...
Date: 2002-12-06 21:41:45
Lists: pgsql-committers
I am testing a new method for applying patches. Basically, I have test
script that does:

	. /etc/profile
	pgstop
	rm -r /u/pg/data
	pgmakeall -c &&
	aspg initdb &&
	pgstart &&
	newdb test &&
	cd /pg/test/regress &&
	gmake clean &&
	aspg gmake all runtest
	newdb test

Unfortunately, it takes quite a while to run, so I typically run it only
after I have applied a batch of patches, and usually I can clean up a
compiler warning or regression omission.  These patches were different,
and I am still trying to figure out when to run the full test script.

As it is, I have spent all day testing the IPv6 patch, and just compiled
a debug version of libc to continue testing, and I am not even done.  I
wanted to do advocacy stuff today too.  :-(

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian - CVS) writes:
> > > 	Back out ALTER DOMAIN patch until missing file appears.
> >
> > not to mention
> >
> > >	Back out V6 code, caused postmaster startup failure.
> >

> > Bruce, I know I've said this before, but I'm going to complain again:
> > please test patches, particularly large ones, BEFORE you commit 'em,
> > not after.  This sort of CVS thrashing gets in the way of other
> > developers, who have to contend with unnecessary merge work.
> > It's not helping Marc's disk-space and bandwidth budgets, either.
> >
> > 			regards, tom lane
> >

> --
>   pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us               |  (610) 359-1001

pgsql-committers by date

Next:From: Centro RelaxDate: 2002-12-09 00:28:04