pgsql-server/src/interfaces/python pgmodule.c

From: momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian - CVS)
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql-server/src/interfaces/python pgmodule.c
Date: 2002-12-06 03:19:28
Lists: pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:	/cvsroot
Module name:	pgsql-server
Changes by:	momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org	02/12/05 22:19:28

Modified files:
	src/interfaces/python: pgmodule.c

Log message:
	PyGreSQL inserttable patch
	=====================

	I suggested an improvement of the inserttable in the PyGreSQL interface
	already in January, but seemingly it was never implemented. I was told this
	is the right place to get patches in for PyGreSQL, so I'm reposting my patch
	here.

	I consider the inserttable methode essential in populating the database
	because of its benefits in performance compared to insert, so I think this
	patch is quite essential. The attachment is an improved version of the
	corresponding pg_inserttable function in pgmodule.c, which fixes the
	following problems:

	* The function raised exceptions because PyList_GetItem was used beyond the
	size of the list. This was checked by comparing the result with NULL, but
	the exception was not cleaned up, which could result in mysterious errors in
	the following Python code. Instead of clearing the exception using
	PyErr_Clear or something like that, I avoided throwing the exception at all
	by at first requesting the size of the list. Using this opportunity, I also
	checked the uniformity of the size of the rows passed in the lists/tuples.
	The function also accepts (and silently ignores) empty lists and sublists.
	* Python "None" values are now accepted and properly converted to PostgreSQL
	NULL values
	* The function now generates an error message in case of a line buffer
	overflow
	* It copes with tabulators, newlines and backslashes in strings now
	* Rewrote the buffer filling code which should now run faster by avoiding
	unnecessary string copy operations forth and back

	Christoph Zwerschke

pgsql-committers by date

Next:From: Bruce Momjian - CVSDate: 2002-12-06 03:28:34