Oracle recognizes PostgreSQL as competitor?

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Oracle recognizes PostgreSQL as competitor?
Date: 2002-11-29 23:06:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

I hope this list is an appropriate place for this little snippetlet
of information.

I was browsing in my local technical bookshop today
and chanced upon a volume named "Oracle 9i: A
Beginner's Guide" or similar. Part of a series of books
from Osborne bearing the mark "Authorized Oracle Press".

Skimming through the introduction I found the following
sentence:

"Oracle ... today competes with some of the biggest
names in the industry:"

followed by a list of the usual corporate suspects and
their respective heavyweight database offerings,
in no particular order, and as the last item

"PostgressSQL" (sic).

Not quite sure what conclusion to draw from this ;-)

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net

PS BTW no Swedish companies were mentioned.