Re: Can't get more than 255 chars out of memo field in Acc

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't get more than 255 chars out of memo field in Acc
Date: 2002-11-27 19:52:51
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
wrote:
> 11/27/2002 10:46:51 AM, Jeff Eckermann
> <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
>
> >This raises an issue for Access developers which,
> in
> >spite of searching archives, FAQs etc. I have not
> seen
> >explicitly stated anywhere.
> >
> >I have found that, to be able to use both "text"
> and
> >"memo" types within Access, linking to tables in a
> >PostgreSQL database, the following must be done:
> >* table definitions in PostgreSQL must use
> "varchar"
> >for fields desired to be "text" in Access, and
> "text"
> >for fields desired to be "memo" in Access, and:
> >* "Text As LongVarChar" must be checked in the DSN.
>
> This turns out to be what my problem is I think. I
> do have the attribute defined as a 'text'
> type in my postgres table definition but when linked
> to Access it still appears as 'text' in the table
> definition. When I try to alter this setting to memo
> in Access it complains that it "can't save property
> changes for linked tables". How to I get Access to
> recognize my Postgres 'text' attributes as memo
> fields?
>
> thanx & later,
>
> Ben Scherrey

The implication is, there is no workaround. You will
need to change the table definitions in your
PostgreSQL database to use varchar(n) datatypes
whereever you want Access to see text. It is possible
to hack the system tables to achieve this (search the
archives to get instructions), but the cleanest way
definitely is to dump the database, edit the dump file
and then restore it (I will be doing this myself quite
soon :-)). Set "Text As LongVarChar" to on, relink
your tables, and you should be good to go.