Re: Cluster Database

From: Chris Miles <chris_pg002(at)psychofx(dot)com>
To: "Al-Karim Bhamani (LCL)" <ABhaman(at)ngco(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cluster Database
Date: 2002-11-24 00:51:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:17:41AM -0500, Al-Karim Bhamani (LCL) wrote:
> Can Postgresql run in an clustered environment
> as Oracle runs as parallel server or RAC in 9i.

Depends what you mean by 'clustered'. We run PostgreSQL in
a HA environment (which some might call a 'cluster') with
2 PostgreSQL servers running their own PostgreSQL instance,
but with the ability to automatically failover to their
partner using Heartbeat (from linux-ha.org).

The data lives on NFS servers and so is available to both
hosts.

Consider this a "poor man's HA cluster", altho it works
reasonably well, and all software elements are free.

Cheers,
CM

--
Chris Miles