Re: Cannot assign ROWTYPE, RECORD variables in PL/pgSQL

From: elein <elein(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, elein(at)norcov(dot)com
Subject: Re: Cannot assign ROWTYPE, RECORD variables in PL/pgSQL
Date: 2002-11-08 03:11:29
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-sql
Deep copy with User defined data types sometimes get a little
wild, possibly with alignment and memory context.  For example
a UDT which is a char followed by an int might be tricky to recognize
that alignment might be needed.  It might even be better to  have
the UDT writer write their own deep copy function if their type
is not compatible with a straight memcpy.

One of the other reasons this was a real PITB at informix was that
columns could also contain row (composite) types.  We do not
have that feature (yet?), but if deep copy is done in a type
blind way which is open to adding recursion we would not shut
the door on the possibility.  Tables have rows which have columns
containing rows which have columns containing udts and rows....

However, I suspect that postgresql row handling is a lot cleaner than
the informix row handling (with or without rows as columns) and it
has been a while since I looked at the problem so maybe it is a
non-issue.  But I'm raising it just in case...

elein