First Meeting -- Next Tuesday, 6:30 pm - 9pm

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: First Meeting -- Next Tuesday, 6:30 pm - 9pm
Date: 2002-11-06 20:30:33
Lists: sfpug

Folks,

Based on responses, here's what I have tentatively set up for our first
meeting:

Tuesday, November 12th
6:30 - 9:00pm
The Front Room
1385 Ninth Avenue
San Francisco

The Front Room is an inexpensive pizzaria, with decent pizza and salad
offerings. The location at 9th Avenue, in particular, is under-traffiked
and has an alcove with a large table in it.

It is not our ideal location. It's nowhere near BART (though right near
MUNI), and they do not have a seperate club room. However, I have not been
able to find a restaurant that does which charges less than $25/person for
food. Suggestions are welcome.

Tentative SCHEDULE for the evening:
6:30-7:00pm : Mill around, meet people, order food.
7:00-8:00pm: Eating and presentations.
8:00-9:00pm: Schmoozing and talking about a more permanent meeting schedule.
(future meetings will be shorter, once we establish a routine)

People are welcome to come late, if you have to. If you will arrive late,
please RSVP, and confirm the day of the meeting, with a general request of
what you would like to eat so we can save you some food. If you don't expect
to eat, then this is not an issue.

RSVP, everyone, please! So far, 7 people (including me) have said that they
can make it in or around that time slot. When I arrive at the restaurant on
Tuesday, I'll need to have a firm idea of how many people we are.

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS: I'd like to have two people give short talks on
Postgresql-related stuff. It may or may not be possible to set up a digital
projector at the restaurant (see below).

NEED EQUIPMENT: I don't know yet if it's reasonable to set up a projector at
the restaurant. I'll try to scout it out. If it is, then is there anyone
here who can bring one? Or an LCD monitor (I can bring one, with two we
can present.)? Presenters should bring their own laptops if they want to
have a computer part of the presentation.

HOW TO GET THERE:
Via MUNI, from DownTown, BART or SOMA: Take the N-JUDAH train (best to board
at Embarcadero, it gets crowded). Get off at 9th & Judah (the stop *after*
the train turns up 9th Avenue.). The Front Room is just downhill of the
corner of 9th & Judah.
Alternate from Downtown: Take the 71 bus or 71L, and get off at Lincoln &
9th. Walk uphill, away from the Park, 1.5 blocks.

DRIVING: Park in GG Park near 9th Avenue (and the Arboretum), on MLK Drive.
Walk out of the park, up 9th Avenue. Or, hunt for parking in the avenues,
near 7th or 11th & Kirkham. Or, pay $7 for parking in the Mortuary lot
halfway between Lincoln and Irving on 9th Avenue. You are highly unlikely to
find street parking on 9th, Irving, or Judah.

Map:
http://bayarea.citysearch.com/map?mode=geo&map_lat=377625&map_lon=-1224660&id=909091&fid=2

--
-Josh Berkus