Re: Booleans

From: Jascha Schubert <JTSMailing(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Booleans
Date: 2002-11-04 17:35:24
Lists: pgsql-php

Am Monday 04 November 2002 17:26 schrieb scott.marlowe:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Jascha Schubert wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've written an php script with many queries like
> >
> > "insert into table (a,b,c) VALUES('$q','$w','$e')"
> >
> > where $q,$w and $e are booleans. I've written it with mysql and it works
> > fine there, now I want to use it with postgres and have the following
> > problem: As type for a,b and c I used the bit type with length 1. Now if
> > $q is true there is now problem it evaluates to '1', but false evaluates
> > to '' and postgres then complains that the bit string length does not
> > match. Its clearly why it happens, but is there an easy way to fix this,
> > without rewriting all the sql queries with something like if($q===false)
> > $q='0';.
>
> I'd recommend taking off your mysql thinking cap for this one. :-)
>
> To set your values, I'd suggest using the TRUE and FALSE method, like so:
>
> insert into table (a,b,c) values (TRUE,FALSE,FALSE)
>
> So that you use PHP to set each field to TRUE or FALSE (note there's no '
> marks around the TRUE or FALSE).

The Problem is I use variables ($q) then i would have to to something like
this for every querie
if ($q)
$q1="TRUE";
else
$q1="FALSE";
...... (also for $w and $e)
"insert into table (a,b,c) VALUES($q1,$w1,$e1)"

that would be much writing and makes the code more complicated.

I will only do that if there is now possibility to manage this in the
database. It would just need something that lets '' become to '0' for this
fields.

Jascha