Re: float output precision questions

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Pedro M(dot) Ferreira" <pfrazao(at)ualg(dot)pt>,Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>,Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: float output precision questions
Date: 2002-10-31 23:33:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:58:21 -0500,

> But I think an EXTRA_DIGITS setting might be interesting.  In
> particular, suppose we allowed EXTRA_DIGITS to be negative?  Setting
> it to -1 or -2 would go a long way towards eliminating our problems
> with platform variations in the geometry regression test.

My attempt to avoid this problem with the earthdistance regression used
a cast to numeric to limit the number of digits to the right of the
decimal point.

If the normal number of digits displayed is different between two systems,
than displaying a fixed number less digits is still going to result in
differences.