Re: Turning the PLANNER off

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ben McMahan <mcmahanb(at)cs(dot)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Turning the PLANNER off
Date: 2002-10-31 18:34:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:59:39PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> What's the basis for your assertion that it's "planning things that
> don't need it"? Given a JOIN-constrained query I do not believe the
> planner will look at any cases other than the intended join order.

Well, that was a loose choice of words - let's say the planner seems to
be taking awfully long to build an execution tree with only one choice
available.

> He can do whatever he wants, as long as he has no illusions about
> getting it accepted back into the sources ;-).

Understood - this would be a hacking tool only.

> What would probably be more useful is to do some profiling to understand
> why the planner is taking longer than he wants even with a
> JOIN-constrained query. I should think this would be pretty quick.

Yup, that targets the same question as above - anything 'uneeded' actually
happening in the planner? I'll send him off with this suggestion.

Ross