copy from ... with delimiter '\n'

From: Larry Riedel <larryr(at)saturn(dot)sdsu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: copy from ... with delimiter '\n'
Date: 2002-10-30 02:40:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
May I be allowed to use '\n' as a delimiter for "copy from"?

I was able to use it to "copy to" a file, and it worked as
expected, but when I tried to "copy from" the file, I got an
error because it treated the end of line as the end of the
tuple (which I recognize is documented behavior).  If the
copy command expected a 1:1 relationship between the fields
in the "copy from" file and the fields in the target table,
then it seemed to me it could read the file correctly?
I can see that it might be considered too dicey to allow.

Larry

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Peter BiermanDate: 2002-10-30 02:47:46