Re: Clusters

From: James Kelty <j_kelty(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clusters
Date: 2002-10-29 00:00:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've just been very unhappy with the ease of use for
Postgres replication. Pgreplicator was a huge pain
that worked less often than not, rserv was really
unmanageable. I haven't had a chance to look at
dbmirror yet, though. Plus the replication would start
to chew up network bandwidth at some point. Of course,
so would reading from the SAN. But, then there is the
issue of system failure. If the system has to be
re-imaged, then I'd have to take a snap shot of the
master, and re-apply it to the new system. It just
seems more manageable if I can plug in a new Postgres
'instance' to the SAN, and have it up to date the
minute it starts. I know that postgres doesn't have a
'read-only' mode, but it does have the GRANT option.
So, access to the DB _can_ be controlled that way at
least.

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts and info. If
anyone knows of some other replication service besides
the two listed above, great! Let me know!

Lemme just say, that the feature set of Postgres, when
talking strictly database, is AWESOME. Really easy to
work with, and around, but, in the HA world, it seems
a little difficult to work with.

Thanks again, Guys!

-James

--- Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:47:52PM -0800, James
> Kelty wrote:
> > together behind an SLB? Assume that all systems
> have a
> > qlogic card, and are attached to a SAN, and that
> the
> > SAN holds the data. Can PostgreSQL be configured
> > read from the SAN? Does each system have to
> initialize
> > the DB?
>
> You can't do this safely. PostgreSQL wants to
> control its disk.
> Someone has said on the (?) -general list that he
> has modified the
> PostgreSQL code to do this, but it makes me nervous.
>
> The Postgres-R project is trying to do something
> similar, but it's
> some way from production quality.
>
> > it. No replication. Thanks for any thoughts!
>
> I sort of wonder why "no replication" is a
> requirement. If you want
> lots of cheap, read-only machines, why not do it
> with replication?
> You can buy a _lot_ of x86 boxes with Promise IDE
> RAID and big, fast
> IDE drives for the price of ORAC.

> --
> ----