Re: BOOLEAN question

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BOOLEAN question
Date: 2002-10-29 03:53:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Stephan,
>
> > Well, you might be better off making a max(bool), but a not
> > super-efficient version might be:
> > max(case when col then 1 else 0 end)=1
>
> Good, I'm not just brain-dead. I did figure out another way to do it, but if
> I wrote a MAX(bool), what are the chances it would get added to the core? I
> don't see any good reason not to have one.

Don't know really. I guess if we're saying that true>false it might
make sense, although the notion of max(bool) seems odd to me, especially
since it only easily handles an ANY case.

Speaking of which, a more expensive but possibly nicer looking way would
be something like
true=ANY(select col from <whatever>)

(which of course also generalizes into =ALL fairly easily)