Re: Clusters

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clusters
Date: 2002-10-28 20:59:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:47:52PM -0800, James Kelty wrote:
> together behind an SLB? Assume that all systems have a
> qlogic card, and are attached to a SAN, and that the
> SAN holds the data. Can PostgreSQL be configured to
> read from the SAN? Does each system have to initialize
> the DB?

You can't do this safely.  PostgreSQL wants to control its disk.
Someone has said on the (?) -general list that he has modified the
PostgreSQL code to do this, but it makes me nervous.

The Postgres-R project is trying to do something similar, but it's
some way from production quality.

> it. No replication. Thanks for any thoughts!

I sort of wonder why "no replication" is a requirement.  If you want
lots of cheap, read-only machines, why not do it with replication?
You can buy a _lot_ of x86 boxes with Promise IDE RAID and big, fast
IDE drives for the price of ORAC.

----
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110