Re: Introduction

From: Dror Matalon <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: 2002-10-27 17:10:06
Lists: sfpug
On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 01:44:38PM -0700, David Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 03:31  PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> >I used to be a DNAI customer :-)   I am now a Broadview customer :-(
> >for reasons that Dror knows all about.
>
> I used to be DNAI, and am now Speakeasy. Go figure. I also own a
> television. :-(

OK. Apologies to both of you for selling DNAI :-). Actually when we sold
the company in 1999 my goal was to keep things in good shape for the
employees and the customers for 12 months and I stuck around for that
period. Things actually stayed in reasonable shape for another year,
till RCN decided to close the Berkeley office. Oh well.

> My name is David Wheeler and I'm a software developer. I maintain
> Bricolage, an open-source content management system that runs on
> Apache/mod_perl with a PostgreSQL back end <http://bricolage.cc/>. I've
> been using PostgreSQL for over two years, and love it. And it keeps
> getting better with every release!

I've ran into Bricolage before, and find it a very intresting product.
Unfortunately while all the techs at Zapatec speak perl, we do our
web development in Java.

Are there any sites running Bricolage where I can see a live system
using it? We're intrested in implementing content management too.
Also, how do you store the data in the db, large objects?

> I used to do database migration from a mainframe-based DB2 database to
> SQL Server, but escaped that drudgery to the world of OSS software when
> I joined Salon.com in 2000. There we developed the core of what later
> became Bricolage, first on Oracle, and then later on PostgreSQL.
>
> Today I run my own consulting company, Kineticode, and offer support
> and development services for Bricolage customers. I'm also available
> for custom software development work -- send it my way! See my web page
> (see sig) for more about me.
>
> From reading the other posts, it looks like I might be the lone
> developer among DBAs. That's good -- I could stand to learn a lot from
> you all!

Actually we do both, and personally I've done a lot more software
development than DBA work.

--
Dror Matalon
Zapatec Inc