line length line break issue

From: David Bear <iddwb(at)moroni(dot)pp(dot)asu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: line length line break issue
Date: 2002-10-23 01:00:57
Lists: pgsql-admin
we had someone make a php app that was a form fill-in type of questionaire.
They stored all data into postgres as vchar type columns.  Now the problem we
have is that
1) rows retrieved from select include cr/lf chars from the form, makeing a row
multi lines long
2) rows are so long that their not useable and we can find a useable delimeter

I've tried using
\pset recordsep "^"
 (and other chars along with the caret) but it seems the postgress is not
using that character.  My thinking was to strip all cr/lf, the replace the
caret with a newline.  Then we could bring the data into something like
excel.

The problem is the recordsep doesn't seem to work.  Any thoughts?
--
David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU

pgsql-admin by date