Re: char() or varchar() for frequently used column

From: "Jules Alberts" <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: char() or varchar() for frequently used column
Date: 2002-10-18 07:07:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 17 Oct 2002 at 14:15, Randy Neumann wrote:
> If your really that worried about this you will just have to have an
> effective date and an expiration date on the codes. Leave the expiration
> date either null or a VERY VERY large value.

Yes, I have considered this. A simpler (less complete) way would be to
add a boolean is_active to each table. Defaults to true, and if false,
you can't insert the CODE.

While especially the date approach would be correct, i haven't decided
if I will use it, or the boolean approach. It has it's advantages, but
a big disadvantage is that it will make thing a lot more complicated,
errorprone etc. Will it be worth it? I don't know yet.