Minor FAQ correction suggestions

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Minor FAQ correction suggestions
Date: 2002-10-13 03:44:34
Lists: pgsql-docs
I'm reworking the German version of the FAQ (which is
hopelessly outdated), in the course of which I've come across
a few errors in the original (English) version,
mainly minor things like spelling mistakes and broken links.
Patch with suggested corrections attached (German version will
follow ASAP).

General alterations:

Some links corrected; links to the domain "" now uniformly
written as "". Minor tidying up of formatting.

Some specific notes / questions on the following sections:

1.4) What non-Unix ports are available?

-> win31.mak should be win32.mak

  "A native port to some Microsoft platforms is currently being worked
-> IIRC this is the case. Please correct if not.

1.8) What documentation is available?
The link is broken, works. (It would be more
logical to fix the link rather than the FAQ I think, though).

3.9) What are the pg_sorttempNNN.NN files in my database directory?

-> presume this should read "What are the pg_tempNNN.NN files..." ??

 4.4) How do you remove a column from a table?
-> ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN supported as of 7.3 :-)

4.15.2) How do I get the value of a SERIAL insert?

-> Perl is a very versatile language, but this:

    new_id = output of "SELECT nextval('person_id_seq')"
    INSERT INTO person (id, name) VALUES (new_id, 'Blaise Pascal');

is most definitely not Perl ;-). I have made up a pseudo-language for the

4.16) What is an OID? What is a TID?
->  backend/access/transam.h should be include/access/transam.h

4.17) What is the meaning of some of the terms used in PostgreSQL?

-> The link is broken
(the domain doesn't seem to exist). Suggest:
as replacement.

4.25) How do I return multiple rows or columns from a function?

-> Linked to current rather than developer documentation

Ian Barwick

pgsql-docs by date

Next:From: Ian BarwickDate: 2002-10-13 10:57:02