Minor FAQ correction suggestions

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Minor FAQ correction suggestions
Date: 2002-10-13 03:44:34
Lists: pgsql-docs

I'm reworking the German version of the FAQ (which is
hopelessly outdated), in the course of which I've come across
a few errors in the original (English) version,
mainly minor things like spelling mistakes and broken links.
Patch with suggested corrections attached (German version will
follow ASAP).

General alterations:

Some links corrected; links to the domain "postgresql.org" now uniformly
written as "PostgreSQL.org". Minor tidying up of formatting.

Some specific notes / questions on the following sections:

1.4) What non-Unix ports are available?

-> win31.mak should be win32.mak

Added:
"A native port to some Microsoft platforms is currently being worked
upon."
-> IIRC this is the case. Please correct if not.

1.8) What documentation is available?
The link http://www.PostgreSQL.org/books/ is broken,
http://www.ca.PostgreSQL.org/books/ works. (It would be more
logical to fix the link rather than the FAQ I think, though).

3.9) What are the pg_sorttempNNN.NN files in my database directory?

-> presume this should read "What are the pg_tempNNN.NN files..." ??

4.4) How do you remove a column from a table?
-> ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN supported as of 7.3 :-)

4.15.2) How do I get the value of a SERIAL insert?

-> Perl is a very versatile language, but this:

new_id = output of "SELECT nextval('person_id_seq')"
INSERT INTO person (id, name) VALUES (new_id, 'Blaise Pascal');

is most definitely not Perl ;-). I have made up a pseudo-language for the
example.

4.16) What is an OID? What is a TID?
-> backend/access/transam.h should be include/access/transam.h

4.17) What is the meaning of some of the terms used in PostgreSQL?

-> The link http://www.comptechnews.com/~reaster/dbdesign.html is broken
(the domain doesn't seem to exist). Suggest:
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/MST/simul/software/docs/pkgs/pgsql/glossary/glossary.html
as replacement.

4.25) How do I return multiple rows or columns from a function?

-> Linked to current rather than developer documentation

Regards

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net

Attachment Content-Type Size