Re: What does this tell me?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What does this tell me?
Date: 2002-10-09 04:07:24
Lists: pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce, Sean,
> > Oh, yes, you are right.  My hardware tuning guide mentions it.
> >  Strange
> > it is called the transaction log file:
> >

> > Unless you are seeing this more freqently than every minute, it
> > should
> > be fine.
> Actually, it's apparently a real problem, because the function never
> completes.   Each cycle of "recycling transaction logs" takes longer
> and longer, and eventually locks up completely.
> What the function is doing is a succession of data cleanup procedures,
> updating the same table about 50 times.  I will be very thankful for
> the day when I can commit within a procedure.
> Unfortunately, I am already at the maximum number of WAL files (64).
>  What do I do now?

Wow, that is interesting.  I thought one big transaction wouldn't lock
up the WAL records.  I figured there would be a CHECKPOINT, and then the
WAL records could be recycled, even though the transaction is still

Where do you see 64 as the maximum number of WAL segments.  What is your
checkpoint_segments value?  The actual number of files shouldn't be much
more than twice that value.  What PostgreSQL version are you using?

  Bruce Momjian                        |