Re: Number Sequence Query

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: John Nix <maximum(at)shreve(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Number Sequence Query
Date: 2002-10-08 21:41:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

John,

> case_num
> ----------
> 020018
> 020020
> 020021
> 02002201
> 020024
>
> I'm only really looking at the numbers that start with 02 and the number
> sequence is the 4 numbers right after the 02. As you can see by my
> example, 020023 is missing. I would like to be able to run a query to
> see all the missing numbers in sequence. I'm not even sure where to start
> looking for information. I did searches from Google and in the groups
> (which normally answers my questions), but I can't find anything. Can
> someone help me with this? Thanks...

A classic SQL problem. Buy Celko's "SQL for Smarties"; you won't regret it.

Setp 1: Copy the first 6 digits of each number into a temp table and convert
them to INT. For the rest of the example, we will call that table
"case_numbers" and the colum "cnum".

Step2: Index "cnum" and VACUUM ANALYZE it.

Step 3: Run this:

SELECT (cbefore.cnum + 1) as begin_gap, (cafter.cnum - 1) as end_gap
FROM (SELECT cnum FROM case_numbers c1
WHERE NOT EXISTS (select cnum FROM case_numbers c2
WHERE c2.cnum = c1.cnum +1)
AND c1.cnum < (SELECT max(cnum) FROM case_numbers)) cbefore,
(SELECT cnum FROM case_numbers c3
WHERE NOT EXISTS (select cnum FROM case_numbers c4
WHERE c3.cnum = c4.cnum -1)
AND c1.cnum > (SELECT min(cnum) FROM case_numbers)) cafter
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT cnum FROM case_numbers c5
WHERE c5.cnum BETWEEN cbefore.cnum AND cafter.cnum);

(check above for typos! This is off-the-cuff)

This should give you a list of all gaps in the sequence, in the form of:

begin_gap end_gap
20023 20023
20037 20041
20079 20079
etc.

What the query does is search for all sequence numbers that do not have a
number immediately following, and then all sequence numbers that do not have
a number immediately preceeding, and matches them up by testing if the gap is
continuous.

As you can imagine with all the sub-selects, it is a RAM-intensive query on
any large data set.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions