PostgreSQL, Inc. and Vanten K.K. Team Up In Japan

From: PgSQL Corporate Communications <pr(at)pgsql(dot)com>
To: PgSQL Corporate Communications <pr(at)pgsql(dot)com>
Subject: PostgreSQL, Inc. and Vanten K.K. Team Up In Japan
Date: 2002-10-06 21:11:01
Lists: pgsql-announce

Tokyo, Japan PostgreSQL, Inc.
For Immediate Release 18 Elm Street
Monday, October 7th, 2002 Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Canada, B4P 1Z9

PostgreSQL, Inc. and Vanten K.K. Team Up In Japan

"PostgreSQL, the world's most advanced Open Source Database, has a large
and dedicated following in Japan," observes Geoff Davidson, CEO of
PostgreSQL, Inc., "It has taken almost two years to identify a company
with extraordinary PostgreSQL database competencies who also shares our
passion and commitment to delivering only the highest value and Values to
all our mutual clients in Japan. Vanten is that company, and I'm pleased
to announce that today we have reached an agreement to have them represent
our products, services and other partners as our first PRIME Certified
Alliance Program Partner (CAP)."

In addition to providing Japanese language support for PostgreSQL users
worldwide, as the PRIME CAP for Japan, Vanten will be leading PostgreSQL,
Inc.'s sales, service, support, development and innovation initiatives
throughout Japan, including:

o Commercial Replication solutions (eRServer)
o Enterprise Customer Relationship Management (SePICK)
o Annual Support Certificates
o Certified Alliance Program Partnerships
o Certified Training Programs
o Product Certifications (hardware and software)
o custom commercial and retail products of our other partners.

Vanten K.K., an Open Source Solutions company based in Tokyo Japan, led by
veterans of the Japan Internet industry, Vanten has quickly established
itself as a leader in Open Source centric business solutions. Vanten's
experience with PostgreSQL Database development, support and maintenance
makes the company a natural fit to partner with PostgreSQL Inc., the
world's leading provider of PostgreSQL database design, consulting and
support services.

Vanten is led by CEO Chris Phelan, former President of Exodus Japan, also
helped create one of Japan's other real Internet success stories, Global
OnLine Japan (GOL), where he held the positions of VP of Marketing, VP of
Sales and Chief Operating Officer.

Neil van Wouw, Vanten's COO, was investment company Neoteny's Chief
Technology Officer, and prior to that was CTO of GOL.

Vanten offers business application development centered around open source
platforms. Database development is Vanten's specialty. "We have used
PostgreSQL on a number of client projects and are extremely happy with the
performance it delivers." Says Chris Phelan, CEO of Vanten. "Database
applications are one of the hottest areas in Open Source Solutions
development."

Vanten has successfully won contracts with such companies as Tsutaya
Online, Japan Communications Inc. and the Daiae OMC/Neoteny joint venture
Blockline. Vanten's experience with developing complex business solutions
gives the company an advantage when it comes to winning new customers.
"Having managed companies and built in house solutions for our own
businesses gives us a tremendous advantage in understanding our customer's
needs." Explained Phelan. "We work with clients in the early planning
stages of a project and add value that other developers just cannot
deliver. That is why our customers choose Vanten." Added Phelan.

Businesses in Japan's recession strapped economy are looking for the best
cost performance in IT solutions. Vanten's focus on developing the best
solutions using Open Source technologies makes it the smart economical
choice. Companies find that not only can Vanten deliver on their quality
expectations but can save them money by eliminating expensive software
licenses from solutions.

Backed by PostgreSQL Inc.'s new product line and support services, Vanten
intends to expand its database development, product and support service
offering. The two companies plan to launch a Japanese version of
PostgreSQL Inc.'s Replication server by November 2002 to take advantage of
demand for scalable database solutions in the market. In addition, the two
companies will offer enterprise quality support and maintenance packages
for corporations with PostgreSQL database deployments.

About Vanten
------------
Vanten K.K. began operations and was incorporated as a kabushiki-kaisha on
October 1st 2001. Vanten offers a full suite of open source software
support services and solutions. With capabilities in website database
development and integration, billing systems development, iMode and
Jphone, EZWeb, backend development, PHP, Perl, PostgreSQL programming and
database maintenance and support services. For more information about
Vanten K.K., contact the Public Relations at (03) 5833-2703 or
press(at)vanten(dot)com(dot)

About PostgreSQL, Inc.
----------------------
PostgreSQL, Inc. is a federally incorporated Canadian company, founded in
early 1999, substantially owned and controlled at the Board level by three
of the four original founding members of the PostgreSQL Global Development
Project. PostgreSQL, Inc.'s Mission is to promote the continuous growth in
use, application development, training, and certification programs for
PostgreSQL by providing companies and individuals with a commercial, full
service support organization to meet their business, information and
database needs. PostgreSQL, Inc. provides clients, expert consultants,
partners and open source community volunteers with both financial
recognition and project opportunities while expanding PostgreSQL database
functions, applications and capabilities. For more information about
PostgreSQL Inc. please visit www.pgsql.com, or contact Media & Public
Relations at (902) 542-0713 or pr(at)pgsql(dot)com(dot)

Contacts for more information:
Media & Public Relations, PostgreSQL, Inc.
(902) 542-0713 o pr(at)pgsql(dot)com

Public Relations, Vanten, K.K.
(03) 5833-2703 o press(at)vanten(dot)com