Re: pg_dump & restore question regarding creating with seri al

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Pam Wampler <Pam_Wampler(at)taylorwhite(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump & restore question regarding creating with seri al
Date: 2002-10-04 22:42:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Pam,

> my original pg_dump has records with the id from 1 to 644714794.
> my "replica" database started at 4064868 (where did that number come from?

I'm not sure either. Questions:

1. Are you dumping just the database schema, or the schema and the data?

2. How were records inserted into the table originally? That is, is it
possible that many/all of the records were inserted without using the
sequence as their id, but getting their ID numbers from some external source?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions