Re: 7.0 -> 7.2 Migration (oops)

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)empires(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.0 -> 7.2 Migration (oops)
Date: 2002-09-27 21:31:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday 27 September 2002 04:52 pm, Jeff Davis wrote:
> It seems as though it would be easiest to work outside of the package
> system at this point, unless your not really familiar with
> compiling/installing software from source. Supplying --no-deps to rpm seems
> dangerous to me, although perhaps Lamar's directions are known to be safe
> enough.

All the --no-deps is going to do in this case is override the dependencies.
As long as the binary RPM to be installed is from a binary-compatible release
of Red Hat (same major version number) it _should_ work OK. If it works
without --no-deps that's OK too. But --oldpackage is required.

> Download postgres 7.0 source, compile & install it in it's own new
> directory (so that it doesn't clutter up your system later) and on it's own
> port. Point the postmaster to the old "PGDATA" directory and do pg_dump.
> After you've got the dump, shut the 7.0 postmaster down, move the old
> PGDATA directory to some backup location (just in case), and create an
> empty directory in place of the PGDATA you just moved. Then, initdb (with
> 7.2) the empty directory and pg_restore.

Using this procedure, one must be careful. The RPM installation's binaries
are in /usr/bin -- the PATH would have to be set to get the from-source
install's binaries first. ISTM the rpm way is substantially easier, as RPM
makes sure you won't accidentally execute the wrong binaries.

The easiest would be a binary seamless upgrade..... :-)

I would have recommended using the semiautomatic upgrade procedure, but, at
Red Hat 7.3 that capability was yanked from Red Hat's RPM set, since it
didn't work reliably enough.

If the rpm install with --nodeps doesn't work, one can always download the
source RPM at do a rpm --rebuild on it, producing freshly compiled binary
RPMs built for Red Hat 7.3.

Hmmm..... ok, I was going to build a set of 7.0.3 RPMs quickly, but the 7.0.3
build stumbles over the version of readline in Red Hat 7.3. So a rebuild
from source will also have problems. I'm looking at a possibility, though.
I'm also looking at building a 7.1.3 set for Red Hat 7.3, and hopefully the
readline issue won't haunt me.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio