Re: hardware question

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hardware question
Date: 2002-09-26 18:01:42
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 12:25:51PM -0500, Adam Erickson wrote:
> I am curious, why are you getting away from Sun?  I've been under the
> impression that Sun hardware kills IA32 when it comes time to play. (eg.
> high load)  Am I reading too much FUD these days?

Maybe.  I can say for sure that an older PIII 2-way VA Linux box
running FreeBSD that we had here was running cirles around a 2-way
E450 we have.  I think it sort of depends on the kind of load.

The really _big_ advantage Sun is supposed to offer is the supreme
hardware reliability.  In the interests of not rousing any lawyers, I
will refrain from commenting on the extent to which that advantage is
realised in fact.

----
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110