Re: Other benchmark than OSDB

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Other benchmark than OSDB
Date: 2002-09-17 19:30:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:53:05AM -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> Someone needs to check out
> http://www.osdl.org/projects/performance/osdldbt.html the OSDL
> benchmarking tool for DBs and get Postgres to work with it and then run
> it and publish results or at a mininum use it to help tune performance for
> Postgres.

I'm afraid that the OSDL benchmark has a (IMNSHO stupid) handicap in
getting it working and making it a well-respected benchmark:

"While the inspiration for OSDL-DBT-1 is the TPC-W, they are entirely
different workloads and results obtained should not and cannot be
compared. Commercial use of results obtained by running OSDL-DBT-1
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
are expressly prohibited."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, it's not TPC, you can't compare it to TPC, and if you wanted to
compete with the TPC using this test, you couldn't do it. What's
worse, since there's no definition of "commercial use" that I was
able to find, I'm not sure if it extends to such things as (for
instance) writing case studies or responses to RFPs. Even stranger
is that the Sourceforge page says the project is released under the
Artistic License, which sure doesn't include restrictions on
commercial use. (Indeed, the point of the open source brand is
supposedly that it makes free software more appealing to business.
Oh, well. :-/ )

I'm sure my boss would _love_ for me to work on something we can't
ever use. Sheesh.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada