Re: An opportunity to prove PostgreSQL and our requirement of Case Study info

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Subject: Re: An opportunity to prove PostgreSQL and our requirement of Case Study info
Date: 2002-09-16 17:15:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:28:12PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:

> Afilias and LibertyRMS, the people who've been happily running the
> .info namespace on PostgreSQL servers, are the technical backend of
> the ISOC application for management of the .org namespace.
> However, ICANN is asking for more detail about the backend
> database, to prove it is an "appropriate choice for a mission
> critical applications". In particular, ICANN wants proof that
> other companies are using PostgreSQL for Mission Critical things.

[. . .]

> Can people please come forward to help them out with info about the
> reliability and performance of PostgreSQL in Mission Critical
> situations?

Hi, everyone.

I know I really shouldn't post this all over, but, well, I'm going to
anyway. Speaking for myself, I want to thank publicly the many
people who responded to this and other requests from Justin. I
_think_ I've already mailed everyone who responded directly. If you
responded, and I didn't mail you, I apologise.

I knew that lots of people we doing cool things with Postgres, but
the range of activities still surprised me. And the conviction with
which people responsed was tremendously helpful. Many of the manager
folks here come from a corporate background, and just couldn't
believe the helpfulness of the community. It's things like that
which make you realise how fantastic PostgreSQL support is, especially
when you stack it up against the big commercial guys. They may have
million-dollar marketing campaigns, but we have real strong belief in
our software. You folks made what would have been an impossible task
into something achievable. And I think you've made converts out of
some people who were once rather leery of our PostgreSQL use.

I especially want to thank Justin, who stopped at (as far as I could
tell) nothing to provide great examples of PostgreSQL use. He was
invaluable to me, and I really appreciate it.

In case anyone wants to see the response-for-managers the corporate
people ultimately made, ICANN has posted it:

<http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm#Response13TheInternetSocietyISOC>

(sorry, that's a long line).

Again, my thanks to everyone for such great software and so much
help.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada