Upgrade or install 7.2.2 on SuSE 8.0

From: John Dougherty <jwd(at)softcom(dot)net>
To: pg list <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Upgrade or install 7.2.2 on SuSE 8.0
Date: 2002-09-11 21:48:47
Lists: pgsql-novice
I have been trying to get postgresql version 7.2.2 up and running properly on
a SuSE 8.0 machine.  SuSE comes with a 7.1.* version, which installs into
/var/lib/pgsql in part, but distributes the include, lib, and other files in
a number of other directories.  I decided to try simply using the defaults as
they come in the source file for 7.2.*.  I have tried to edit the conf files
and other material so that they system works as it did prior to the upgrade,
however the startup process, invoking "/etc/init.d/postgresql start" now
results in a "failed" message and the statement that "/usr/local/pgsql cannot
be opened, it is a directory."  I edited the postgres user profile to match
the present setup, but this seems to have had no effect.  Can someone suggest
the basic steps?  Possibly they can point to how to comply with LSB when
configuring and compiling 7.2.

Thanks,
John Doughery

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Curtis MortensenDate: 2002-09-11 21:51:51