Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded
Date: 2002-09-04 16:15:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Shridhar Daithankar dijo:
>
> > On 4 Sep 2002 at 3:24, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > OK, the HISTORY file is updated, and 7.3 is branded and ready for beta1.
> >
> > Some minor stuff,
>
> In the schema changes description:
>
> "Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace
> so two people can have the same table with the same name."

> Shouldn't it read "so two people can have tables with the same name"
> ? My point is that the tables are not the same, they just have the
> same name.

How about this for a wording:

"Schemas allow users or applications to have their own namespaces in
which to create objects.

A typical application of this is to allow creation of tables that
_appear_ to have the same name. For instance, if some GNOME
applications were using PostgreSQL to store their configuration, a
"GNUMERIC" namespace might have a table PREFERENCES to store
preferences for that application, while a "POWERSHELL" namespace
would allow _that_ application to store configuration in a
PREFERENCES table that is quite distinct from the "GNUMERIC" one.

The "true" table names may be GNUMERIC.PREFERENCES and
POWERSHELL.PREFERENCES, but by using Schemas, applications do not
need to be speckled with gratuitious added prefixes of GNUMERIC or
POWERSHELL."

Note that I'm pointing at "applications" as the primary purpose for
this, as opposed to "users."

In the long run, are not applications more likely to be the driving
force encouraging the use of schemas?
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html