Re: source code indexer

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: source code indexer
Date: 2002-08-31 18:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Laurette Cisneros wrote:
>

> > HI all,
> >
> > Sorry to interrupt your busy list.
> >
> > I was wondering if you could recommend a good source code db/indexer that
> > could be used to search through the postgresql code?
>
> I think I must be one of those 'old school' types. I use
>
> 	find <somedir> <some spec.> | xargs grep
>
> often followed by tags in Emacs.
>
> It isn't perfect but then I'm not either.

I use a commercial editor called Crisp, which is unfortunately a
commercial product.  It runs on almost any platform:

	ftp://207.106.42.251/pub/crisp.gif

I have found several editor features a great help in PostgreSQL
development:

	programmable macro language
	keyboard record/playback
	colorization
	list of functions in the file
	tags jump to function definition
	cross-reference listings

They are not a big deal when you are making localized changes.  In fact,
I just used a character-mode editor for those, but when I have to
analyze the code or make massive changes, those features make it easier.

The screenshot I listed has the functions listed on the left, the
cross-reference information at the bottom, and a colorized main editor
window.