Re: Reporting query duration

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reporting query duration
Date: 2002-08-30 04:44:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > There is a TODO item:
> > 	* Allow logging of query durations
>
> > Currently there is no easy way to get a list of query durations in the
> > server log file.  My idea is to add query duration to the end of the
> > query string for 'debug_print_query'.  My only problem is that to print
> > the duration, I would have to print the query _after_ it is executed,
> > rather than before.
>
> Well, that's what makes it a bad idea, eh?
>
> I think the log entries should be separate: print the query text when
> you start, print the duration when you're done.  A little bit of
> postprocessing can reassemble the two entries.

How would someone reassemble them?  You would have to have the pid, I
assume.  Do we auto-enable pid output when we enable duration?  Yuck.
Maybe print the pid just for the query and timing lines if pid print
isn't enabled?

I would think printing it out together at the end would work.  We
already have several ways to see running queries.