Re: LATIN2 ORDER BY

From: Victor Wagner <vitus(at)ice(dot)ru>
To: KristСf Kontor <kontor_kristof(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LATIN2 ORDER BY
Date: 2002-08-29 15:30:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2002.08.28 at 13:20:29 +0200, KristСf Kontor wrote:

> Hi !
>
> My problem is that i have LATIN2 encoding in my postgres and
> ISO-8859-2 charset on my linux, but when i'am ordering strings
> in psql with acutes it does not work properly...
> (psql version = 7.1, linux = debian woody)

Are you sure, that you've system locale (LANG variable) set to
something.ISO8859-2 when you've invoked initdb command?

Are you sure that postmaster process does run with this locale?

Typically debian postinst script takes care of it, but it can fail if
locales package wasn't configured yet when postgresql package is
installed.

These two items are required by postgres to operate correctly with
charsets other than SQLANSI. I've had no problems when I began to take
them into account with any of various cyrillic charsets, since 7.1.0
Actually, only LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE categories are needed.

BTW, version of postgresql in Debian woody is 7.2.1
So it is strange, that you have earilier one. Have you installed it from
Debian package or build by hand? If later, it is better to revert to
Debian version.

--
Victor Wagner vitus(at)ice(dot)ru
Chief Technical Officer Office:7-(095)-748-53-88