Re: Securing sensitive information

From: "Jules Alberts" <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Securing sensitive information
Date: 2002-08-29 13:47:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On 29 Aug 2002 at 20:42, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I've scoured the web and can't seem to find any definitive on how to
> secure sensitive information in a DB, postgresQL in particular.
>
> Most suggestions rely upon encrypting the data. This is all fine and
> well except for the one nagging question I keep having: how do you
> protect the password that is needed to decrypt the data? Maybe I'm
> missing something?
>
> Can anyone recommend any good web documents on how to secure sensitive
> information?

I haven't really looked into it, but will have too some day. Our db
will be running postgresql and will contain medical data.

AFAIK there is an encryption module in contrib, I have no idea how it
works though. Also, make sure any connections made to the database are
secure (there's a built-in SSL if you compiled correctly). Other
options are OpenSSL and stunnel. A google on these keywords +
postgresql should be your friend.

--
Jules Alberts.