Re: [SQL] LIMIT 1 FOR UPDATE or FOR UPDATE LIMIT 1?

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] LIMIT 1 FOR UPDATE or FOR UPDATE LIMIT 1?
Date: 2002-08-29 01:14:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> If you would like a vote, we can do that, but as I remember we had the
> >> same issue with COPY and we got most votes to just show the best syntax.
>
> Perhaps we could compromise on showing only the new syntax in the <synopsis>
> part of the man page, and then mentioning somewhere in the body of the
> page that the other order is deprecated but accepted for backwards
> compatibility. This same approach would work well for documenting
> COPY's old syntax.

Yes, I thought about that. People want to show both SELECT syntaxes,
but how would you do that --- show the SELECT syntax twice with just
those last two clauses reversed --- yuck.

We could easily mention that we allow both clause orderings in the text
somewhere.

For COPY, we could just put the old syntax at the bottom of the manual
page and mention it is depricated.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us