MD5 Password Storage and SSL TCP don't work together

From: Casey Allen Shobe <cshobe(at)secureworks(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: MD5 Password Storage and SSL TCP don't work together
Date: 2002-08-27 03:32:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs
I am able to use plaintext passwords + non-ssl-enabled tcp
I am able to use MD5 passwords + non-ssl-enabled tcp
I am able to use plaintext passwords + ssl-enabled tcp
I am not able to use MD5 passwords + ssl-enabled tcp.  I always get a password
failure.

The server is Linux From Scratch.  the client is Windows, using the postgres
ODBC drivers.

--
Casey Allen Shobe / Network Security Analyst & PHP Developer
SecureWorks, Inc. / 404.327.6339 x169 / Fax: 404.728.0144

"Diagoras the Atheist once visited Samothrace and a friend there said to him,
'You think the gods have no care for humans?  Why, you can see from all these
votive pictures here how many people have escaped the fury of storms at sea
by praying to the gods, who have brought them safe to harbour.'  'Yes,
indeed,' said Diagoras, 'but where are the pictures of all those who suffered
shipwreck and perished in the waves?'  On another occasion he was on a voyage
and the crew became anxious about the bad weather and began to mutter that it
served them right for taking an atheist on board.  Diagoras just pointed out
to them a number of other ships on the same course which were in equal
difficulties and asked them whether they thought that there was a Diagoras on
the passenger-list of every one of them.  The fact is that a man's character
or way of life makes no difference at all to his good luck or bad."

- Cicero

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Casey Allen ShobeDate: 2002-08-27 03:36:15