Re: full table...

From: Felson <felson123(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: full table...
Date: 2002-08-20 17:12:02
Lists: pgsql-novice
Thanks for all your help Tom.
Turns out this thread really did belong on the
"novice" list... It turns out that I hadent vacumed
the to tables that this one was pointing at...
After I vaccumed the other 2 tables, I get about one 7
insert sample every 2-3 seconds, and that includes the
time it takes the unit to send me the data over
CDPD... Man am I glad I posted before I tried my fix!
That would have been a pain in the !(at)*&^ to
administer...

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Felson <felson123(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > I am on 7.0 I am plaing an upgade at the end of
> the
> > week as I am getting a new server to put it on. As
> for
> > rules, there are a number of indexs, and 2 forign
> key
> > rules.
>
> Ah-hah.  I bet your problem is the foreign key
> rules.  Make sure you
> have indexes on both ends of each foreign-key
> reference (ie, both the
> referencing and referenced columns need indexes).
> Also, vacuum analyze
> both tables.  Then start a fresh backend and see if
> it's any better.
> (You need a fresh backend because the plans for
> foreign-key check
> queries are cached.)
>
> 			regards, tom lane

> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)