Re: [SQL] Aggregates and Indexes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Adam Erickson <adamre(at)cox(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Aggregates and Indexes
Date: 2002-08-03 01:36:12
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Adam,
>
> > I do a lot of reporting based on such SQL statements. Counting rows from
> > large datasets. Since the PG gurus don't seem to think this is such a big
> > deal can someone enlighten me as to why?
>
> I am not a core developer, but I will take a crack at your question anyway
> based on my personal knowledge. I am sure that Tom, Bruce, or Stephan will
> correct my mistaken assumptions.

I have seen a few mentions in the past weeks about core vs. non-core
developers. I should reiterate that the core group feels there is no
distinction between the opinions of the core people and the other major
developers. Everyone gets just one vote.

The only reason for core is to deal with certain "sensitive" issues that
can't be dealt with in public forums, and making _big_ decisions like
should we release on Friday or Monday. ;-)

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us