Re: Open 7.3 items

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Snyder <snyder(at)roguewave(dot)com>, Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-01 03:27:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > I am working on it now. I decided against doing any kind of database
> > > prepending at the user level. You create the user as 'dbname.username'.
> > > That is clearer, rather than prepending based on the db you are
> > > connected to. The only code change is in the postmaster authentication
> > > lookup and ownership setting from the backend connection.
> >
> > Okay, just a couple of questions ... if there any way of provide
> > 'superuse' access a user of the database for creating new users? Say one
> > creates a dbname.pgsql account, could it be given 'create user' privileges
> > for other users with a prefix of dbname.*?
>
> Uh, that will be tough.
>
> Super-user account will not be qualified by dbname for simplicity.
>
> > and, what happens if one doesn't specify dbname.*? does that user become
> > 'global', or have access to nothing?
>
> Access to nothing. I could actually try to quality by dbname.username,
> then fall back to just username, but that seems insecure.

No, that's cool ... just questions I thought of ...

Okay ... hmmm ... just making sure that I understand ... I setup a server,
when does this dbname.* come into play? Only if I enable password/md5 in
pg_hba.conf for a specific database? all others would still use a plain
'username' still works? or are you getting rid of the 'global usernames'
altogether (which is cool too, just want to clarify) ...