Re: No bison and NAMEDATALEN > 31: initdb failure?

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No bison and NAMEDATALEN > 31: initdb failure?
Date: 2002-07-31 21:34:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 00:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> > - Does src/include/postgres_ext.h count as a parser definition file?
>
> No, it doesn't. Your experience sounds like you may have neglected to
> do a full rebuild after altering NAMEDATALEN. (By default, we don't
> compute object-file dependencies, so it's up to you to do "make clean"
> after changing fundamental parameters.)

Exactly what I thought. I actually deleted the source tree and unpacked
at a different location, several times. It was only after installing initdb
Bison that initdb suddenly worked...

> It's unlikely that installing
> Bison per se affected anything --- unless possibly you had corrupted
> copies of gram.c etc.

... tried the same with a fresh source download on a Linux machine
and got similar results.

Clearly something odd is happening, but I assume it's a local problem. As
it's not the most important issue right now, will see if I can make any sense
(and report back should I find anything of interest).

Thanks,

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net

PS The subject should have read "(...) NAMEDATELEN > 32 (...)", i.e. the
default value.