Re: Trimming the Fat, Part Deux ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trimming the Fat, Part Deux ...
Date: 2002-08-01 02:26:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Okay ... since this is pretty much going to be 'one camp for, one camp
> > against' without anything to really back up either camps perspectives /
> > arguments, I did some research on CVS in order to find a nice, effective
> > middle ground ... and it actually works quite sweet ...
>
> Personally, I'd like to be able to have a "client-only" distro, but other
> than that I'm not fussed. I like the convenience of having all the contribs
> in contrib, however some sort of CPgAN thing would be sweet as.
>
> Currently, the guy who maintains the FreeBSD postgres port has hacked up a
> client only version that does all the building, but only installs the client
> stuff.

Ya, which is what the MySQL port does also ... but you still have to
download the complete distro ... the other thing to consider is that we
have how many mirrors right now? That are paying for the bandwidth to
mirror the software and provide it to the community? If 100 ppl that just
need, for instance, the libpq libraries could download *just* the
libpq.tar.gz file and install it, how much bandwidth does that save
overall? Bruce figured that the libpq.tar.gz stuff he did for me saved
~1/10 the space of the whole distro ... so if the distro is ~8Meg, that
means that the libpq is ~800k ... so we're talking about a saving of,
what, ~720Meg of bandwidth? It doesn't sound like alot when you aren't
paying for it, but it definitely adds up quickly to those that are ...