Re: Questions about my strategy

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Questions about my strategy
Date: 2002-07-31 12:49:36
Lists: pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:46:24AM +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 02:34, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > Why not three codes: model, colour, and size?  Then you can query all
> > by model, and limit by size, colour, or both.
>
> How do you mean three codes?
>
> If you mean having more than one product code for a type of shoe thats
> what I am trying to avoid.

Nope.  A code for the product, and then other (optional) codes for
size and colour.  So, you can query by maker, and by shoe type, and
by size, and by colour:

Show me all the things by bigcorp in style hotnow that are red and
size ten is something like

	SELECT DISTINCT (shoename)
	FROM shoecodes
	WHERE maker = 'bigcorp'
	AND shoename = 'hotnow'
	AND size = 10
	AND colour = 'red';

That's a crappy example, but you get the picture?  This way you can
also get all the shoes in size ten, all the red shoes, or all the
shoes by so-and-so, or whatever.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110