Re: WAL file location

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>,Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>,Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>,PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file location
Date: 2002-07-31 04:01:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 30 July 2002 11:51 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> >> CREATE DATABASE foo WITH LOCATION = 'BAR'
> > And requires you to be a database superuser anyway.

> CREATE DATABASE does not require superuser privs, only createdb
> which is not usually considered particular dangerous.

Pardon my misspeak, as there are those two components to the privs.  My error.
Typically normal users aren't given create database privileges -- at least on
my systems.

And, again, I'm completely for the idea of this being in postgresql.conf.  But
I'm not convinced that the security angle is a valid reason.  The consistency
reason is enough alone to warrant it being that way.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio