Re: pg_ctl -w option does not behave as documented

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Alvarez <alvarez(at)st-oneline(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl -w option does not behave as documented
Date: 2002-07-30 18:55:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs
The pg_ctl code has this warning:

	# FIXME:  This is horribly misconceived.
	# 1) If password authentication is set up, the connection will fail.
	# 2) If a virtual host is set up, the connection may fail.
	# 3) If network traffic filters are set up tight enough, the connection
	#    may fail.
	# 4) When no Unix domain sockets are available, the connection will
	#    fail.  (Using TCP/IP by default ain't better.)
	# 5) When a different port is configured, the connection will fail
	#    or go to the wrong server.
	# 6) If the dynamic loader is not set up correctly (for this user/at
	#    this time), psql will fail (to find libpq).
	# 7) If psql is misconfigured, this may fail.
	            if "$PGPATH/psql" -l >/dev/null 2>&1

Feel free to send over a patch.  ;-)