Re: Auto-incrementing field

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki / Megative Tmi / KYMI(dot)com <aarni(dot)ruuhimaki(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: "Jim Steil" <jim(dot)steil(at)customcall(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Auto-incrementing field
Date: 2002-07-29 16:53:41
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi !

Please consider using a scriplet of your own for the locking db, getting e.g.
the max id +1 as your next increment, inserting the record (probably only
with the new id) and then unlock the db.

Sometimes it is worth because auto-increment as index migth get you into
trouble in certain situations. Or if you get into an other sort of bad
situation with corrupted data, having used auto-increment as index will
double your trouble or your work amount atleast.