Re: usernames and passwords

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Vicente Vives <vvives(at)telepolis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: usernames and passwords
Date: 2002-07-22 14:50:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 02:56:41PM +0200, Vicente Vives wrote:
> Hi .
> I have a server running PostgreSQL Version 6.5, and i have a problem.
> I grant some distinct privileges to some users (and that works). The problem
> is that those user can log in with any password. Each user has a password
> assigned but not matter the password the user use to log in, if the user
> exists always will get access to the database.
>
> Has anybony an idea?
> Any response will be wellcome.

Check your pg_hba.conf setting for that host. Sounds like you've got
the last column set to 'trust'. Change it to 'crypt' is your most likely
solution. Check your docs.

Oh, and start planning your upgrade: 6.5 is getting to be very old code,
as is definitely not supported. Any bugs you hit will probably already
be fixed in 7.X, and there's lots of new features, too!

Ross