Re: [GENERAL] Some Solaris notes, and an invitation

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, justin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Some Solaris notes, and an invitation
Date: 2002-07-19 18:42:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 02:15:40PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > The following diff adds the NetBSD qsort() for all Solaris platforms.
>
> Do we know that Solaris is the only platform with the problem?
>
> In the back of my mind is the thought that if we used this qsort on
> *all* platforms, we'd eliminate some platform-to-platform sort ordering
> differences that occasionally cause regression test problems. And I
> see little downside to using it everywhere.

What if someone else's qsort is faster than NetBSD's? NetBSD is not
famous for its high speeds, although I haven't any reason ot suppose
that this library is any differnt than FreeBSD's (or any other
Berkeley-derived system), since I haven't checked. Just asking,
really.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada