Pg_dump Backup Drops a Few Things

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Pg_dump Backup Drops a Few Things
Date: 2002-07-16 20:08:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Folks,

I am not subscribed to -bugs. Please e-mail me directly.

For some time on 7.2.1 I have suspected that one or two items from large,
complex databases was not getting backed up. However, I could not say
conclusively that this was the case, as it was always possible that I had
missed something somewhere.

Today I just got done with a very painful restore. PG_dump had failed to back
up a small view on which 6 other views and functions depended, and I had to
spend several hours editing the 99mb backup file by hand.

I'd like to work with someone on pinpointing the problem, as obviously this
could be a critical issue for production databases. However, I'm not sure
how to submit the files as they are very large (> 90mb) and how can I send
the original database not as a backup file?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions