Re: ECPG Questions

From: Jim Parker <hopeye(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Parker <hopeye(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ECPG Questions
Date: 2002-07-12 14:45:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I'll try to be a little more specific.

The appliction is a vector drawing program (CAD). Because I have no idea
what the drawing looks like of how many items to draw, etc., each primative
type is stored in a linked list of structs (this may change in the future.
Designed to be independent of database storage).

I also have a seperate linked list for vertex and vector information since
multiple drawing primatives may share that data (avoids storing duplicate
info, and avoids updating multiple lists when vertex info is modified (ie
drag/frop)). I use pointers between lists to share this information.

One of my primative types is the polyline. I have no idea how many vertex
points the line may contain, but I have an entry in the polylines table for
this information.

In my SQL tables I have tried to normalize that data. So all the data that
is common to all drawing primatives is in a table called entites (color,
size, linetypes, etc.) and the unique information is in another (one or
more). Again vertex and vector info gets thier own tables.

So lets look at the polyline example. I fun a query on the
entites/polyline tables to get all entities of the polyline type. This
gives me entity_id, polyline_id, color, size, linetype and number of
vertices, etc. But this did not give me the x, y, z cooridinates of each
point. So in this senerio I would need a second query to the vertex table
to get this information.

The second way I have thought to do it is to include the vertex table in
the first query. This would give all the information I need, but would
require addition processing to distill the x, y, z information from the
color, size, etc. information I get form the first truple.

The first method requires ( I believe ) me to open a cursor. Retrieve the
truples, allocate memory for a vertex array, Open a cursor to get the
vertex info put into array, add data to linked list, close second cursor,
look at next tuple in first cursor.

the second method is to open the cursor retrieve data from first tuple, get
next tuple, check polyine id, if same as current get x, y, z info.

It seems to me the first method is pefered way of doing things. Is there
an easy way to do it ?

hope this explains my proiblem better. Thanks for your help.

cheers,
Jim Parker